Saturday, March 31, 2018

My Experience with a Caffeine Cleanse

March has been another good month here in upstate New York. Snow is melting away. Temperatures are rising. We might still bundle up a little, but the shift of seasons spells more and better quality training. It has been largely uneventful, but in a good way. My cats, my fiance, and I have all settled into our routines. So really, there isn’t much to say about training this month. The time is being put in, swimming about 12-15000 per week, cycling 10 hours and up, and running right around 40 miles. But numbers are boring!

In this month’s blog, I will be describing my experience of going from 5-6 cups of coffee each day to a green tea drinker with much more stable energy throughout the day.

The decision to change my caffeine habits was made in November. At that point a normal day started with two cups of coffee. Then, after my first workout of the day, a delicious protein shake… with coffee concentrate added (Not making this up!). Most days only included two training sessions this time of year, so now I could have lunch, with another cup of coffee. Then after my last workout, no more coffee, but as much green tea as needed to stay awake and do anything. And let’s not forget that some workouts require extra energy as well, which included energy gels and Coca-Cola mid-training. It wouldn’t surprise me if I had consumed over 1000 milligrams on some days.

That was enough. Beside the fact that I could have been doing serious damage to my body, the benefits of caffeine weren’t even really there. Sure, it was helpful for waking me up in the morning, but after that early “jolt” of energy, the rest of the day felt like trying to keep a sinking ship afloat.

So I penciled in a five days with only green tea, figuring that would help my body recalibrate, and then get back to a healthy relationship with coffee, with one cup in the morning then switching to green tea for the afternoon. My first two days were miserable. The headaches were excruciating, and I had no idea a person could feel so exhausted! I did not train during these first two days, and they were still beyond exhausting. Day three came and I felt a bit better. Four and Five felt butter smooth. I had done it! It felt so great to have steady energy throughout the day that I didn’t even want to return to being a cup-a-day coffee drinker.

Four months later I’m still only drinking green tea, with the exception coffee on race mornings (just a few running races so far) or a Coke mini during a longer bike ride. The energy boost from the extra caffeine on race mornings is noticeable, and so far the race results have been good. All in all, I’d rather give up the small caffeine boost for day to day training in exchange for a race day advantage, so I’m going to keep this going.

That’s about it for this installment. Next weekend is the master’s swim meet in back Bennington Vermont. Last year I swam a 5:59 for the 500. I’m excited to see how my time compares after finishing the 12-week Finding Freestyle course. Same event, same pool, and same suit means it will be the best apples to apples comparison on the effectiveness of a very different approach to swim training.

My race calendar is still in flux, but I’m excited to announce that my first race this season will be the Wildflower Triathlon. This event is an icon in long distance racing, and seeing it covered in the documentary What It Takes back in college inspired my professional racing aspirations. Last season the race was canceled due to lack of water at the swim venue, and I was crushed that I never got to race this bucket-lister. When it was announced that there had been enough rain last Fall and the race was back on, I knew I had to be there. Beyond excited and just cannot wait to get there. Thanks for reading, and if you are going to Wildflower, send me a message!


No comments:

Post a Comment