Thursday, March 1, 2018

Winter Running, The Olympics, Politics (Sorry), and a Major Life Milestone

Winter in Upstate New York sucks for triathlon training. There’s no way to sugarcoat it, but snow and cold are not unbeatable obstacles. Because cycling is my best discipline in triathlon, and because the roads are so difficult to ride on when there’s snow and salt, I took a little time to establish some running base miles, work on technical swimming, and got on the bike trainer sparingly these past three months. A few 50 mile running weeks has laid a solid foundation, and hopefully that strength will stay in my legs throughout the entire competitive season.

In my last post, I promised a 3000 meter time. 9:54. Safe to say there are no Olympic track meets in my future, but it was fun to race at a very different pace, and I hope that leg speed will be something I can call on in critical race moments in triathlon. I also finished off the Hudson Mohawk Road Runners Club Winter series. The final race was a 10 miler, the near perfect distance to estimate my threshold running pace. My time there was 59:47, putting my threshold right under that 6 minute mile pace. This is really exciting, because that’s only a little quicker than the pace I would like to be running off the bike for a half-marathon this season. On track in February!

If you’ve read my older blogs, it won’t surprise you to hear that I spent a good portion of this month watching the Winter Olympics in South Korea. The best athletes in the world are so much fun to watch, especially in sports that don’t get as much coverage on mainstream media. Of course I enjoy watching the Olympic hockey tournaments, but it’s so exciting to watch cross-country skiing, alpine skiing, aerials, speed skating, snowboarding, and one of my favorites, biathlon. I’m always so impressed by a biathlete’s ability to ski powerfully, then quiet themselves and perform precisely on the shooting range. However, my favorite moments of these Olympics definitely came from the hockey tournaments. The USA women winning gold against Canada in a shootout, with Jocelyne Lamoureux’s incredible move to score the game winner. I don’t think a gold medal game should be decided in a shootout, but I have to admit I was happy about the outcome of this one. The other incredible result in hockey was the German men’s team, who didn’t even qualify for the games in Sochi and had never won an Olympic medal, managed to upset both Sweden and Canada to advance to the Gold medal game. They left with a silver after losing to the “Olympic athletes from Russia.” I could give my opinions on the slap-on-the-wrist punishment for a state sponsored doping program all day. Instead I will give the short opinion- this does nothing to deter others from cheating and basically says the IOC doesn’t want to know anything, in hopes to avoid dealing with scandal. Other than their men taking home a gold medal, the results of the tournament were great, with a breakout performance from the German men and one for the books with the women of team USA.

I generally try to keep my blog light-hearted, but there’s one issue we are facing in the United States that I feel compelled to speak about. In the last 50 years we have lost 1.5 million lives to gun violence, and a recent school shooting in Florida has brought the topic into the limelight. The issue of gun control is divisive here in the US. While laws limiting the types of firearms available and who can purchase them are an obvious solution, we have a second amendment to our constitution which suggests we have the right to bear arms to defend ourselves, and the government cannot take that away. I’ll keep my opinion brief, but open to conversation. Assault weapons should not be legal on the streets in any first-world nation. If you need to defend yourself with a firearm, feel free to do so with an 8-bullet handgun. Assault weapons were not built for anything other than mowing down as many people as possible, and they have been the gun of choice for too many mass shootings. Let me reiterate, I don’t want to take away anybody’s right to defend themselves with a self-defense gun, but nobody needs an assault weapon that can kill 40 or more people per minute, and we as a society have proven that having these things out there isn’t a right worth the extra life lost. No, we cannot stop all shootings, but limiting the availability of the AR-15 could have saved a whole lot of life in these shootings. Let me acknowledge the irony of how much I enjoy biathlon and my support for gun control. I do believe that firearms can be used safely and responsibly! I have friends and family on both sides of this debate, and considered leaving it out of this blog to not ruffle any feathers. My opinion is not the most popular here in upstate New York. Nonetheless, I felt morally obligated to speak my mind on this, in hopes of directing my country in a better trajectory.

Last topic of this blog post, and it is a big one. Last September, I became engaged to my best friend of the last decade, Annie Wu. We met in college, and I am so grateful that someday I will call her my wife. We expect to be tying the knot in June of 2019. I’ve always raced better when she has been a part of my life, and I can only expect that being that much closer to her is going to help me bring myself to starting lines stronger and healthier than ever.

I could go on about my amazing fiancé all day, but the two of us have come to appreciate our privacy, hence a greatly reduced social media presence. So I will leave it at that. In next month’s blog post, I will hopefully have my race calendar together, I will have finished the first 12-week course in Dave Luscan’s Finding Freestyle program, and I will be one month closer to the start of race season. Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. good luck this season and can not wait to see what races you are going after this year

    ReplyDelete